Saturday, February 21, 2009

Do I Dare To Hope?

Yeah, it's pretty common for things I look forward to blow up in my face somehow. But I ask the question, do I dare to hope for something, anything?

2008 was rather shitty music-wise. The only album I actually looked forward to was 3 Doors Down's self-titled album. And although Scott Weiland's solo album "Happy" In Galoshes was a surprise to me, it was definitely a delightful one. Yep. Two freaking CDs to show for all year (four if you count Death Magnetic and The Sound Of Madness, which were also good). Want proof that I was starved for something new? I actually bought David Cook's album because John Rzeznik and Raine Maida co-wrote some stuff with him. Sad, really. I should have known better because I wasn't exactly fond of Cookie's voice to begin with.

Anyway, getting back on track, according to various sources, the following bands that I'm following are supposed to have '09 releases:
  • Default - Still Standing
  • Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major
  • Evans Blue - Title Unknown
  • Rob Thomas - Cradle Songs
  • Our Lady Peace - Burn, Burn
  • Goo Goo Dolls - Title Unknown
  • Lifehouse - Title Unknown
  • Breaking Benjamin - Title Unknown
  • Matchbox Twenty - Title Unknown
  • Muse - Title Unknown

Now, I've ordered the list by the likelihood that they'll actually release the CD this year in my opinion. Default's album is slated for a March release and has actually been done for quite awhile, the only problem they've had is with the label they've had to ditch.

Rob Thomas has basically let it slip that his solo thing'll drop in May in a random video I saw and there's a blog stating a likely June release in regards to Ursa Major. Evans Blue is apparently kicking things off with a single in April and an album in late June so I'll take my chances and lump them in the same category as Third Eye Blind. Should be interesting with the new singer Dan Chandler. I'll have to cyber-stalk him to hear what he sounds like. The band's keeping the same musical style so I can't imagine it being like a complete departure from the old stuff.

Lifehouse has apparently said they're shooting for an August release but considering that they've only been in the studio since last November, I'm a little skeptical about it. I know it seems odd to put the Dolls ahead of them when they've been so FUCKING mum on the subject of the album, but they've [theoretically] had more time to play with than Lifehouse and John keeps on saying that it'll come out this year, so that's why I say that. You'd better not let me down Rzeznik. This is the first album from you guys that I've had to wait for. The sparse number of weeks I had to wait Let Love In was only training. Breaking Ben's starting to record in the spring and are also hoping for a summer release, but for the same reasoning regarding Lifehouse and Goo, I've put them lower on the list. I put Our Lady Peace higher than the others because they've already got a title, a tracklisting and more time to record stuff.

Apparently Matchbox Twenty is also releasing a new album according to wiki, but I'm not really sold on that because it's only rumoured and with Rob's solo CD, I'd be skeptical that they'd release a MB20 record in the same year. After all, we all know that you only make money going out on tour.

Last, but not least, there's Muse. They're currently flirting with an '09/'10 release, but I don't really care to be honest. I just like a handful of their songs anyway.

So there you have it, 9 or 10 potential releases! Even if some get pushed back at least I know that some will see the light of day this year and it's gotta be better than the 2-4 meager offerings from last year. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

And yeah, who else was incredibly disappointed by AG's announcement? Seriously, do not pull that shit when a new album's in the works. We may be naive fools, but we have feelings too.

You read the news, it turns you inside out, and everybody feels the same as you...

1 comment:

  1. Of your list... I'm most excited about (in this order): GGD, 3EB, EB, Default, OLP, and LH.
    I'm skeptical, from that list, about GGD and LH the most. I can see both of them just being pushed back to early '10, maybe.

    Either way... Worst case scenario, and Goo's pushed waaay back? We'll still have some good hold-over music.

    ReplyDelete