Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Short Tale of Two Canadian Bands.

It looks like Default's got another couple of months to go before their album finally fucking drops. At least the new song I heard called Little Too Late is good, so at least I know I won't be disappointed when, as I've brusquely phrased it, their album finally fucking drops.

Evans Blue, on the other hand, has set a final date (at least it's more concrete) but....I'm a little on the fence on the single they put out called Sick Of It. Dan's a good singer, but, I'm feeling like he's a little disconnected from the band. The song's got some serious Three Days Grace/Breaking Benjamin-isms because of the lyrics and the call-and-response nature to some of the lines. EB's haunting/heavy guitars are supposed to be coupled with equally haunting/pained vocals. Come to think of it, he sounds a bit like Ben Burnley minus any screaming.

I'm not calling it bad, just that...Kevin fit better. This comes off as a little bland.

I've got enough credit left in my iTunes account to buy the song when it comes onto iTunes on the 31st. I think I just need to let it grow on me. God, I hope I have a Goo-ish complex where I just need to listen to it more to like it more.

...Please?

1 comment:

  1. I've listened to "Sick of It" four times now, and... For me, it hasn't gotten better, BUT! it hasn't gotten worse, either.

    I'm just hoping the rest of the album will at least somewhat live up to the rest of EB's standards.

    Sorry to hear that your Default's still in recording land. If it makes you feel better, so is my Chevelle.

    ReplyDelete