Thursday, December 18, 2008

John's Letter

Thinking back to what I said about their newest record, I feel as if John's letter (which I'll post below this) is basically making what I said go in full circle. This kind of thing exemplifies why I will follow this band until it runs its course. If I would have seen this during the day yesterday, I would have said that it made my day but since I came home late at night, I'll say that I went to bed with a smile on my face.

In all honesty, when I came home after eleven yesterday, I checked my usual haunts on the web and when I saw this on Absolute Goo, I was just stunned. Absolutely stunned. I feel as if this proves why John is a great songwriter and person despite what people may say. He wrote in such a sincere way that really conveyed the emotions and sentiment he was trying to get across so effortlessly; it basically tugged at my heartstrings and made me (and I assume fans in general) feel special. Not to mention, how many bands would do this kind of thing? Not too many, I'm sure.

I'm sorry if I'm not being that articulate here, but, I'm still in awe. Anyways, here's the letter.

Happy holidays everyone,

I hope all is going well and you are where you want to
be this season.
As you know these are trying times for a lot of people.
On top of the usual pressures of the holidays many
people can't even make ends meet.
That's where we all need to step in and help.
This year more than any other in recent history there
are so many in need... real, real need.
If you can, please reach out a hand as much as you
are able.
We will all enjoy our holidays more.

Knowing we gave a little bit more of ourselves, that we
watched out for our brothers and sisters
After all, that's what this time of year is all about (I
know, so cliche... but really true)
I know I feel so blessed to have all of you in our lives.

Year after year, you have held us up (I'm speaking for
Mike and Robby as well) and given us hope.
Hope, that what we say in our music still matters and
that it helps in some small way.
You have cared about us when so many have given up on us.
You come to our shows, you bake us cookies, you give
us letters and cards that break my heart.
Because they are written with so much love.
You sing along with me and it gives me strength.
It makes me feel like we still have a place in your lives.

Thank you so much.

That's why I'm asking you to extend that same kind of
hope to others in this very difficult time.
I know you people, I know your generosity and your heart.
It's the one thing I always count on to get me through the rough times.

... hoping you get everything you want this holiday.

John

Don't fall, just be who you are, it's all that we need in our lives..

2 comments:

  1. This letter made me cry.

    I think that's all I need to say.

    Except for... I saw the b.s. about this on WaS... Man... *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. Some people have to pick at everything they get their grubby little hands on. It's why I changed Lucky Star's Rules thread to make sure that it wouldn't happen there. I would not tolerate that kind of shit on our board.

    I suppose the old saying of, 'you give them an inch, they'll take a mile' rings true there. I am so glad I won't have to go there once we start our board. The negativity far outweighs the benefits of freedom.

    ReplyDelete