Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sometimes You Don't Realize What You've Got ('Til You've Gone Elsewhere)

As most people are aware, in the world of Goo Goo Dolls messageboards, I dared to foray into What A Scene and it didn't go well. From registration to resignation (hehe, clever wording, I know), it only took ten days. And to keep it short, the tipping point was when I think I subconsciously tried to introduce a little structure into pure chaos and it epically failed (and I do stress the use of the word 'epically' in that). I'm not going to rehash the situation because it's been all said and done and I erased the favourites tab to that board so there's no going back. Trust me, I'd have to do that or else I'd be lurking on there to see what they said (and potentially said about me) in a particular thread. Yeah, I realize I have a bit of a vindictive streak so this is to keep my soul intact (let's just say that they have a veeery different approach to things on AG).

But in spite of getting called a twat, newbie and being accused of having an attitude (yeah, these people obviously do not know me), two positive things came out of it. And in an assbackwards way, I have What A Scene to thank for that.

The first thing was the new messageboard Jess and I have created. After only spending a day on What A Scene, I started to question a lot of things because there were threads about John and groupies/botox, hardcore Melina-bashing and just a lot of pessimism/rudeness in general. And if it's one thing I don't like it's having to question myself about everything. It's not so much to say that I believe what they say but having my neutral views being challenged is not fun.

Hm..the best way I can describe it is like this. Say you wrote a test and you thought you did pretty well but when you talk to some people and ask them what they got for their answers, most of them are off from yours. Now, you don't know which one of you guys were right but either way, you start questioning everything you did on that test. It's like that in a way.

But in any case, the benefit of freedom to say whatever you want on there was quickly outweighed by that. I honestly thought it would have been fun on there because of that freedom, but I quickly learned the hard way. So getting to my point, I was talking to Jess about What A Scene and I remember saying something like, 'God, I wish that there was a messageboard that was halfways between AG and What A Scene, where you could be free to say your opinion or comment on things in their personal lives but there'd be no band/user bashing,' and Jess suggested that we should make our own message board. Fortunately, I found a free hosting site and it all snowballed from there. I'm quite proud of the layout and skin I created for it so it should be really fun once we open our doors around January 8-9 when Jess gets back and has her internet again.

(Yeah, I know it feels like a shameless plug, but hey, it's becoming the worst-kept secret ever due to the circumstances so I don't really care right now - you can check it out here if you want.)

Getting back on track, the second thing I was thankful for was the people on AG. After all the shit went down on What A Scene, I went back to AG and into the chatroom by chance. Now, I'd totally forgotten that it was World Chat since I normally couldn't make them when I had school (I'm done now) and because my internal clock is so incredibly off that it didn't register that it was Friday. Anyway, when I got there I was so happy to see that there were a bunch of people and I was tempted to bring up what had happened. But someone else did that for me (Hi Judith!) and it got into a bit of a discussion about that forum. I felt better and got it all out of my system and I don't think that would have happened if not for the people there.

Anyway, hope you all have a happy holidays in case if I don't post in awhile. I'll be in and out in the next few days. :)

And if I had an hourglass, I'd save the grains of time I spent with you...that's what I'd do.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah... I read the trainwreck that happened on WaS, and while I think it was ridiculous what happened, I still appreciate the place. I mean, for what it is, it *is* a breath of fresh air compared to other boards.

    Anyways, I'll be on and off... It turns out that I'll be going to visit family Dec 26th-January 2nd. So... Ugh.

    If you wanna text me... PM me on AG or LS, or Note me on DevArt for my cell # some time before Christmas, because, other than/after that, I'll be pretty disconnected.

    Sorry WaS went down how it did. (They sort of picked on Ruth, too, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is a breath of fresh air but I find that there are too many cons to the board to be worth it really. I might have stayed but I don't think I'd be wanted after what went down. I'd have to do some major groveling and that'd be even more pathetic. I don't grovel. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi back Erica ;)
    I'm glad you felt better after the chat!
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete